One of the best remedies for vomiting, nausea, motion sickness, intestinal gas, loss of appetite and other ailments is ginger. Moreover, it is excellent for fighting cancer due to its anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-metastatic properties. This makes it one of the most potent disease-fighting spices. Studies show that ginger kills the cancer cells in 2 ways: through apoptosis (cancer-causing cells are made to destroy themselves leaving the surrounding cells intact), and autophagy (the cancer cells are tricked into digesting themselves).
There are several studies which proved its cancer-fighting abilities:
- Georgia State University – they found out that ginger fights prostate cancer as whole extract from the plant can help shrink the tumor size by 56% in mice.
- American Association for Cancer Research – they found out that ginger is effective against prostate and ovarian cancer as the plant kills cancer cells and prevents them from building up resistance to cancer treatment. The plant can help a lot to the patients especially if they develop resistance to chemo drugs due to repeated chemotherapy which reduces the effectiveness. There are no side effects also. However, the amount is not determined yet, and has not been tested on people.
- Biological Sciences Department, Faculty of Sciences, King Abdulaziz University in Saudi Arabia – they studied the impact of crude extracts of the ginger on the growth of breast cancer cell lines and found out that it inhabited the proliferation on the breast cancer cells without impacting the viability of non-tumor breast cells.
- University of Minnesota’s Hormel Institute – they found out that gingerols (phytonutrients in ginger) inhabit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells working as effective chemo preventive and/or chemotherapeutic agents.
- Some other studies indicate that this incredible plant is excellent in liver, lung, pancreatic and skin cancer.