Hand sanitizers are not so good to be used, but they are all around us. However, there are some good reasons why you should avoid them.
What they do? It is a mixture using 60% of alcohol in order to remove all the germs, excess moisture. Once you scrub it in your hands it starts evaporating very fast and leave your hands clean.
Stop using them. These are the reasons showing hand sanitizers are not good for use:
- It can disrupt your hormonal levels because triclosan disturbs them especially in children and young adults which can leave lifelong effects.
- Its main component is alcohol, so if you regularly use it your hands can become very dry which will make your skin crack giving bacteria a direct path to your body.
- As children put everything in their mouth, couple of pumps of the sanitizer equals several shots of alcohol, so they may get alcohol poisoning.
- It can impact the immune system and increases the risk for serious illness.
- There is a chance that you can develop resistance to antibiotics as many of the sanitizers use triclosan which is an antibiotic eradicating 99% of the bacteria on your hands.
There is a natural solution. If you want to sanitize your hands without the triclosan in it, you can make a natural and healthy sanitizer. You only need to get a four ounce spray bottle, fill it half with water adding these ingredients: 1) 30 drops of lime, lemon, lavender, or melaleuca oils; 2) 8-10 drops of vitamin E oil; 3) 2 tsp of aloe vera gel.
Shake it, spray it and use it. The oil will leave your hands smooth and will kill bacteria and protecting you at the same time.