Most of the butter found in grocery stores is not healthy, because it is made from pasteurized milk. Homemade organic butter is very healthy as it still contains many of the vitamins and minerals found in raw milk. Butter is packed with Vitamin A. Vitamin A is vital for the health of our eyes, skins, tissues, membranes and teeth. It plays a role in gene transcription. Butter consists of mostly short and medium chain fatty acids. These fatty acids can protect against cancer.
How to Make Organic Butter
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
- sea salt, to taste
- Pour cream into food processor and process for about 10 minutes. It will turn to a thick whipped cream first.
- Continue processing until it turns grainy and separate into butter and butter milk. Drain buttermilk from butter.
- Scrape butter from the sides. Put in a clean bowl. Place your butter into a colander and strain off the buttermilk.
- Rinse the butter with cold water, gently turning the butter with a spoon while the cold water runs over it until the water runs clear.
- When the butter is clean, squeeze more liquid from butter using wooden paddles or spoons to smash butter and pour off liquid.
- You can keep it in a jar or bowl, and store it in the fridge, or the freezer. This type of butter can last for several months before going bad.
You can also make amazing compound butters which kids love. According to MotherEarthLiving.com these are some fun combos to try with softened, unsalted butter:
- Lemon zest and snipped parsley
- Snipped fresh Thai basil, chopped garlic, and chopped, drained, pickled ginger
- Crumbled feta cheese and chopped kalamata olives
- Grated Parmesan cheese and snipped fresh basil
- Grated ginger and sesame oil
- Snipped fresh cilantro, lime zest, and Sriracha, or hot sauce
- Coarsely ground black pepper and sea salt
- Orange zest, chopped fresh, or dried cranberries and snipped fresh sage
- Chopped pecans and honey
- Orange zest, maple syrup, and blueberries
Article originally published on Livingtraditionally.com republished with permission
A quick note from our founder-
Over the past year, my friend Dave at PaleoHacks has been working on a secret cookbook with world-renowned Le Cordon Bleu chef Peter Servold.
Well, today this new this new incredible Paleo Cookbook is finally available to be shipped right to your door for FREE
That’s right — as a special launch promotion, we’re offering our brand new Paleo fat loss cookbook to you for free (Chef Pete lost 60 lbs using these recipes!) — All you have to do is just cover a small shipping cost (international shipping is a bit more).
Get your FREE copy of Paleo Eats Here. (Grab this today, because we only ordered a small batch of these cookbooks for this freebie promotion, and they will sell out FAST!)