Retaining water in the body is a condition which people combat with prescribed medications, but this issue can be solved and can be prevented from occurring in the future through some foods that need to be incorporated in the diet and drinks:
- Watercress and other veggies – watercress is a natural diuretic which provide the body with additional health benefits like potassium. Also, vegetables like celery, peppers, onions, carrots, and tomatoes can help you stop retaining water in your body.
- Melon and citrus fruits – they contain great amounts of potassium which balance the sodium levels to stop your body from retaining water.
- Water – dehydration can cause the start or continuing of water retention, so when your body thinks it doesn’t get enough water, it will hold onto what it has at the moment and be very stingy with getting rid of it. For that reason incorporate water as much as possible.
- Some herbs – primrose oil, celery seed, and dandelion root can be added to your diet to prevent and eliminate water retention.
- Nuts and grains – they are excellent source of vitamin B6, healthy fats, and fiber. Be cautious, choose nuts and whole grains that have very little sodium due to it retain water.
- Fish – tuna, salmon, herring, and mackerel are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids which help with brain function, cardiovascular health, joints, and help avoid water retention.
Foods that need to be avoided: salt, foods with a lot of sodium like pre-packed and processed foods. You should try to create a healthy diet which will prevent water retention before it even happens.