Even though we pay attention to the food and drinks we consume, still they can be toxic due to air, water and soil pollution. This can cause extreme weakness, chronic fatigue, inflammations, digestive disorders, and sinus-related health issues, skin problems such as acne, eczema, rashes and excessive dryness. The body eliminates toxins naturally though which it protects it from diseases and promotes optimum health. However, there are some super foods which can help your liver eliminate harmful toxins and keep your body clean.
- Garlic – it has sulfur-containing compounds which fight harmful bacteria, it also increases the production of glutathione which helps filtering toxins from the digestive system. It contains vitamin C which boosts the immune system. You can consume it chopped or crushed 2-4 fresh cloves. If you can’t stand the taste then get some garlic capsules.
- Beetroot – it contains betaine and pectin which protects the liver and the digestive system cleaning the body and reducing the amount of toxins; it stabilizes the pH too. It is rich in iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium which help in the process of detoxification while the high amount of fiber improves digestion and eliminates body waste. You can eat it raw in salad or as a juice. Consume it every day for couple of weeks. Avoid it if you have kidney stones as it is high in oxalates.
- Cauliflower – it is rich in phytochemicals named glucosinolates which are broken down in the intestines to compounds called isothiocyanates and indole-3-carbinol that are great in regulating the body’s detoxification enzymes. It has vitamins C and K. You can eat it steamed, boiled, or sautéed, raw or in salads.
- Avocado – it contains nutrient which can block at least 30 diverse carcinogens as well as helps the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals. It is rich in vitamin K which protects the liver from radical damage, also has fibers. Eat it organic fresh form or as smoothie. Eat half a cup of the plant for a few weeks.
- Lemon – it is full of vitamin C and is great antioxidant. The vitamin C is needed for the body to make a compound named glutathione which helps liver in the detox process. It also helps the body restore pH levels as it has alkaline effects. Moreover, it acts as energizer, aids the digestive system and eliminates waste.
- Ginger – it has a compound named gingerol and shogaol which speeds up the movements of food through the intestines removing the harmful waste from the liver, colon and other organs. If you suffer from fatty liver caused by drinking too much, it can help. The best way to consume it is as tea. Steep 2 tsp. of fresh grated ginger in a cup of hot water and wait for 10 minutes. You can also add it to salad dressing or extract the juice from the fresh grated ginger with other vegetables.
- Apples – they have fibers (pectin) which help preventing plaque buildup in blood vessels. The fiber and the cellulose help the digestive system move the waste quickly through the intestinal tract. You can try the two-day apple fast by simply eating apples and drinking only water and herbal tea without any other foods during the period. You may experience bloating, gas, muscle aches, fatigue or headaches during the period, but it will soon go away. After that resume your normal diet. If you have high blood sugar, consult your doctor.
- Cabbage – it has glucosinolates which breaks down harmful chemicals and sulfur-containing compounds. It is loaded in vitamin C and fiber. You can eat it in any form, raw, juice, lightly cooked dishes, salads or soups.
- Green tea – its most powerful compounds are catechins called epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) which help the body eliminate free radicals, improve liver functioning. Green tea keeps the body hydrated and flushes toxins from the body. Drink it 2 times a day avoiding a combination of alcohol, soda, and coffee.
- Flaxseeds – they contain soluble and insoluble fibers that detoxify the body by eliminating cholesterol, harmful toxins and other waste processed by the liver. The flaxseeds have a lot of essential fatty acids (omega-3) which are important for the immune system. Just mix 1 tbsp. of grounded flaxseeds into warm water and drink on empty stomach, or sprinkle them on your cereals, yoghurt and other dishes, or smoothies.
In addition to this you should regularly exercise, avoid stress, sleep properly, drink a lot of water and avoid foods and drinks which are: processed, carbonated and fizzy drinks, alcohol, sugar, products with artificial sweeteners, dairy products, grains, soy and soy-based products, beef, pork, lamb and chicken, readymade sauces and salad dressings.